Christmas Toxins and Your Dog

Christmas Toxins and Your Dog



Christmas is meant to be a holiday that the entire family looks forward to each year. No matter what your family’s traditions are you are sure to encounter items in and around your home and neighborhood that can be toxic to your dog. Careful planning and being vigilant in your home and walks can save you heartache and your pet a trip to the emergency vet.

Christmas Toxins and Your Dog – These 4 common items found during the Christmas season could be deadly to your dog and immediate vet care should be sought.




1. Chocolate – Chocolate anything can be toxic to your dog. You want to make sure you keep it out of their reach. While milk chocolate might not be as big of an issue dark chocolate and certainly bakers chocolate can cause major issues for your dog that you just want to avoid at all costs. Remember the more pure the chocolate the more toxic it is to your dog.

2. Poinsettias – Are mildly toxic to dogs some dogs will drool or vomit after eating them and other will experience no noticeable symptoms at all but you don’t want to risk it so keep your dog away from them. Either place them on a table or counter top or somewhere outside in your garden that your dog will not be tempted to take a bit of the pretty flower or leaves of the plant.

3. Holly – The red berries on the holly plant can be poisonous if consumed in large amounts. Symptoms of holly poisoning include: GI upset, vomiting and diarrhea.

4. Mistletoe – Dogs with Mistletoe poisoning is rare but it does occur if the pet eats a large number of the berries. Symptoms include but are not limited too: hyper-salivating, vomiting, diarrhea, urinating more then usual, and a fast heart rate and respiratory rate. In severe cases the animal can go into shock and possibly die with out immediate treatment.

For those with cats in their homes as well remember that cats are a lot more sensitive to many things so you should take extra care to keep all of these items away from them.



Christmas toxins and your dog


Amazon Native Ads – Pet Supplies

Comments

  1. Stacey Monroe says:

    Thanks for the reminder. Also be careful of the glass “ball” decorations. The balls can be mistaken for a toy and cut the dogs mouth.

  2. These are great tips. It’s easy to forget what is OK for us is bad for our pets.
    Ellen Christian recently posted..What Does It Take to Create Effective eLearningMy Profile

  3. I think this is such a great informative post. I shared on twitter. Too many ppl don’t know this info.

  4. Jenna wood says:

    I am always afraid of our pets consuming things they shouldn’t around the holidays. It’s hard to keep an eye on what the younger family members are feeding them too. Thanks for the reminder!

    • Younger kids will usually listen when you say no chocolate or grapes it their grandpa who thinks Neapolitan Ice cream is a good idea.

  5. I am amazed that so many plants and foods are so toxic to dogs. I actually knew about all of these but I appreciate you reminding us at this time of year.
    Still Blonde after all these YEARS recently posted..Michelle Obama Fashion Election Outfits Modeled by Women over 45My Profile

  6. A good reminder, thank you! I know those big hams people get for Thanksgiving and Christmas are not good table scraps for dogs too.
    JulieD recently posted..Keurig Mini Plus Brewer Giveaway from Green Mountain CoffeeMy Profile

  7. Great reminder!! I will share this info to my followers.
    Jade Happy Home and Family recently posted..The iPAD Mini Christmas GiveawayMy Profile

  8. Huguette E. says:

    Thanks, I knew about the chocolate but not the others.

  9. Wow – I knew about the chocolate and poinsettas but not the others. I’ll be sure to keep those out of the dog’s reach. Thanks!
    Jeannette recently posted..Finding Diapers for Even My Little Squirmer with Huggies! #HuggiesWalmartMy Profile

  10. We’ve had to educate my daughter that she can’t feed Wrigley chocolate. I have to remember to keep all of those things out of both of their reach.
    Sarah @ East9thStreet recently posted..6 Ways To Make Guests Feel At Home For The HolidaysMy Profile

  11. Scary! Thank you so much for sharing!
    Janice recently posted..Small Business Saturday: Support America’s LifebloodMy Profile

  12. Christina Moore says:

    Great tips

  13. Kimberly B says:

    Thanks so much for the reminder – have to remember to keep the icicle tinsel away from the too – for some reason dogs love to chew it.

  14. thanks for sharing!

  15. Becky Davis says:

    Thanks for the reminder.

  16. Matt Stringham says:

    Thank you for the informative post. This is good to know.

Copyright © 2017 · Two Little Cavaliers · All Rights Reserved · Design By RL Web Designs

%d bloggers like this: