One dog died and another had to be given oxygen after being waking their owners during a house fire in West Des Moines Tuesday morning. The homeowner survived uninjured. One dog, Oden, got out and received oxygen from medics, but firefighters said the other dog, Patch, died. The home owner was able to get out of the house even before rescue crews were able to respond. Patch would never let her owner out of her sight according to the granddaughter who says she is not surprised that it was the dog who saved her grandfather’s life. Firefighters believe that the fire started from a cigarette found next to the couch which was on fire when they arrived. Firefighters were able to put the fire out quickly as it was contained in one room of the house.
Patch will be remembered as a hero for saving her owners life. Patch was adopted many years ago by her owner from the Animal Rescue League.