Here at Two Little Cavaliers we are so excited to introduce you to our new Crafts Editor! We have been on a search for quite and then we bumped into Katie. She will be bringing us a new fantastic Craft Project each month – and I know you are going to love what she has to share!
DIY Upcycled T-Shirt Dog Leash
Do you have an old t-shirt lying around the house that you no longer wear but is still in pretty good shape? Upcycling is all the rage these days, and even your dog knows it! If you are in need of a new leash, or just want an extra one to have on hand, you can whip one up in less than an hour and for just pennies with this simple DIY T-shirt Dog Leash. This project is a great way to use up those old t-shirts you no longer wear, plus provide your dog with a fun new accessory he or she will be proud to wear. Take a look below at how easy it is to make your own.
- Old t-shirts. Look for something durable, fun, and colorful!
- Scissors. The sharper the better.
- Hardware from old leash. For this DIY I left an inch or so of the old leash on the hardware. This is not necessary but optional.
- Needle and thread
Once you gather all of your materials (most of which you can just find around your home) it is time to get started. Lay your materials on a table for easy access and plenty of work space. Oh, and don’t forget to invite your pooch to come watch!
1. First, you are going to cut your shirt up into a functional piece. Begin by cutting the bottom hem off of the t-shirt. You will also want to cut each arm off, as well as the neck hem.
2. Now make a cut down the side of the t-shirt. This will make a rectangle shape out of your shirt when it is opened up and laid flat.
3. You are now going to create the strips that will be used to make the leash. You will do this by cutting a one inch strip into your rectangle, but before you make it to the end of the fabric you will stop just short. The goal is to create one long piece of fabric, not a bunch of short pieces.
4. Repeat this step again however do so in he opposite direction of your first cut. This way you will have one long strip of fabric to use instead of a bunch of short strips.
5. Take the long strip you just created from your rectangle and cut into three equal strips.
6. Run the end of each strip through the clip hook. Or as in our photo, you can see we knotted the shirt and stitched it to the inch of leash we left on the hook. Either way works.
7. Start braiding!
8. Once your braids are done, stitch the ends together to secure. Cut off any excess there may be.
9. Make a loop with the braid at the end where a handle should be. Make a simple stitch to secure it in a loop.
How easy is that? You know have an upcycled dog leash that will be fun to use and is a great way to use up old t-shirts otherwise destined for the trash. Your leash is machine washable should you need to spruce it up, and can also be recycled when you can’t use it any longer. How cool!
So gather your old t-shirts and a few other basic supplies and get going on making your own DIY T-shirt Dog Leash. You are sure to be pleased with the final results and even have a little fun while you are at it.